Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You

reading next:The London Eye Mystery

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31S2q4hKCkL.jpg
Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You
written by Peter Cameron

It is quite evident that this book lacks a highly structured plot. Things happen, but there's no overarching big idea, other than a teen maneuvering his way through life. Normally, I'd be very disdainful toward this book. However, I found the writing to be highly crisp and realistic, as well as relevant to what teens really think about it. Cameron has created a highly interesting character who I found very easy to identify with. Another asset of this book is the fact that, yes, its narrator is a boy, instead of your typical YA girl narrator. I loved the originality of James' ideas (his little ramble on Mother Teresa made perfect sense to me and is the kind of thing I've been struggling with trying to convey). I liked that it was a very open-ended conclusion. We are given the tools, the characters, glimpses of their personalities, and in the end, it is up to us as readers to do what we are supposed to do and bring our own imaginations into the story to fill in the blanks. Masterfully done!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)