Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The London Eye Mystery

just finished: The London Eye Mystery
reading next: Suite Scarlett

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Abvy6seKL._SL500_.jpg

The London Eye Mystery
written by Siobhan Dowd

I really enjoyed this book, I was always a fan of children's mystery, so it was nice to go back and read a newer one. Although it is never mentioned, the main character of the story does have Asperger's syndrome, and is still highly relatable, which is a great way of introducing this syndrome and dispelling certain notions kids might create about it. Ted's thoughts are really intriguing too. Though the focus on his thoughts is particularly important in terms of the given mystery, I enjoyed his way of thinking and found it highly interesting to follow, especially with thoughtful statements such as this great question he poses at one point: "If you're a practical joker, what's a theoretical joker?" He is not afraid to ask questions and find the answers if they aren't given. I did find some of the British terminology confusing--some of the terms are easy to figure out, but some even I couldn't understand, and as this book is meant for younger readers, I would presume they wouldn't understand either. On the other hand, it's a great glimpse at the diversity and liveliness of London, which many may find interesting and fun to read about. The only complaints I really have is that the book does contain the word 'transvestite', and I'm not entirely sure that's something kids should be reading, and also, sometimes the story did drag a little, and the ending was slightly anticlimactic.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)