Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hi!

hcurrently reading: The Calder Game
want to read: i kind of want to be reading the last PD book...
reading next: probably Harry, a History

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here. Everyone else had one, so I figured I should too. I'll still be posting my book reviews elsewhere, but I thought it'd be nice to have all my reviews in one place, as well as other random book discussions that nobody ever seems to understand ;)

I'm still working on The Calder Game, so I figure I'll start this blog off with a post on Beedle the Bard, which I did finish yesterday!

http://blogs.pioneerlocal.com/entertainment/51h2JITWO7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
The Tales of Beedle the Bard
written and illustrated by J.K. Rowling

Obviously nothing near as spectacular as the HP books, I found the fairy tales very interesting, and Albus Dumbledore's commentary even more so. The vague references to book burning/banning make me wonder if Jo was intentionally (...really, there's very little doubt in my mind that she wasn't) mocking the likes of Laura Mallory. If so, good for her ;) I loved Jo's illustrations and I really would like to know why she didn't illustrate the HP books. Did anyone else catch the sign of the deathly hallows on the fountain? I also liked the footnotes, particularly the one explaining more about Nearly Headless Nick. My favorite of the stories was 'The Fountain of Fair Fortune'. I really disliked only one story, 'The Warlock's Hairy Heart', finding it gruesome and I thought it could have had a happier, saner ending. Nevertheless, I really can't wait to read this book to my kids as bedtime stories!

Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)