Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Devilish

currently reading: LBD: It's a Girl Thing

Devilish
written by Maureen Johnson

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1595140603.01._SX140_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Devilish is a spectacular YA book, and I now see why Maureen Johnson is pretty much the Queen of YA (other than Meg Cabot, of course). Many of the elements found in this book are found in others, and parts were very predictable, but it all really added to the fun and thoroughly amazing ending. Devilish takes you on an amazing roller coaster ride of wacky twists, some you'll see coming, others will be complete shockers. The narrator is a very fun, relatable girl, and all the supportive characters are amazingly developed as well (I'm particularly a fan of Brother Frank). The plot is beyond original, and I'm still amazed that there was an Edward years before Edward in the form of, surprise, surprise, an Owen. The book is nothing particularly memorable, but while you're reading it, you will fall in love with the characters. I don't see myself remembering every little tidbit (as seems to be the case with many of MJ's books) but it is one that I'll probably drop into conversation ("Edward? Puh-leeze. Who needs Edward when you can have Owen?" (note: fully applicable in conversations re: Just Listen as well.))

Rating: 4.5/5

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read that.

    Just finished "Hacking Harvard." And by saying 'just finished,' i mean: i finished it ten minutes ago). I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hacking Harvard=LOVE.
    I really want to read her new...trilogy, I think it is? I think Skinned is the only one out so far, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, sounds awesome.

    Out of curiousity, were you involved in the whole YA for Obama thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, Hacking Harvard was pretty good. I predicted the part about Alexandra before "the big reveal," but I still enjoyed it. It was hysterical and I could really relate to it. I kinda wish it had ended differently, but whatever. Alexandra and Eric= love! :) None of her other books sound that interesting to me. At least appealing wise.

    I was, but I wasn't on like at all. I got e-mails and such, but nothing more. I posted some pictures of when I saw Obama at Nissan and at the Fairgrounds here. did I tell you I was on CNN RIGHT BEHIND obama during that last rally? Fo' reals! :) haha. shook his hand once at both rallies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, Schwarz was my favorite by far =P
    Eh. I still think Skinned sounds intriguing.

    Oh, okay. Yep!!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)