Sunday, January 17, 2010

ArchEnemy

currently reading: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
want to read: By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

ArchEnemy
written by Frank Beddor

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0803731566.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I must say, I'm a little torn. Part of me wants to say that this was a fantastic book, a perfect ending to the trilogy, but unfortunately, I don't think I can. A lot of this book was insignificant fighting scenes that seemed to go on forever. I'm sure this makes it a popular read for some readers, but that's really not what I go into books for. The writing was spectacular, sharply witty, albeit going overboard sometimes with the details of the fight scenes, and it was through this amazing writing that these characters really came to life. I found myself switching favorite characters from Dodge (who sadly doesn't make as many appearances as I had hoped/expected him to make) to good old Hatter. My heart really broke for him and Molly, and Beddor portrayed the awkward phase they were going through really well. I've not read many books where the author has so fully developed a complete world. I didn't know what to think of the many instances of blatant foreshadowing; it had its plusses and minuses, sometimes it worked, other times it was a little much. Up until the ending, it was really a great read. However, the ending seemed, in my opinion, completely rushed, slowed down, and anticlimactic--not as epic as the rest of the series. I know Beddor could have done better. I still do highly recommend this series to all fans of fractured fairytales and the like.

Rating: 4.5/5

See Also:
The Looking Glass Wars
Seeing Redd

I got this book from...:Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)