Monday, January 18, 2010

The Book Thief

The Book Thief
written by Markus Zusak

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0375842209.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I don't like World War II fiction. I don't like the fact that I haven't read a single World War II book that isn't a tragedy. World War II was a seriously horrible time when horrible things happened, and I don't like reading about those horrible things. So clearly, The Book Thief? Not the book for me. The narration, personification, and imagery were remarkable, but the story itself? Meh. It moved slowly, and nothing much happened until the predictable ending. It's easy to see where it's going, both due to its subject matter and choice of narrator. Zusak does do a wonderful job delving into the mindsets of all of his characters, particularly the complexity of a child's--Liesel's--mind. It's a great mix of a child's mind forced to live and function in an adult world. The foreshadowing, though adding to the predictability, adds to the book and the complexity of the narration. But again, there comes a point where it just plot-wise becomes everyotherworldwarII book and is no longer enjoyable. I don't know...I can see this being used in classrooms, and if someone has yet to read any World War II fiction, I would recommend them to start with this one, but for someone just looking for a casual read, look the other way.

Rating: 2.5/5

I got this book from...:giveaway

1 comment:

  1. I really liked The Book Thief, but I do like reading about WWII - when I'm in that kind of mood. But, I understand exactly what you mean here. I completely avoid reading books about post 9/11 wars. I have a huge block in my head that just will not allow me to think of those books as entertainment. And since entertainment is the main reason for my reading, I just skip them altogether.

    Excellent review :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)