Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Realm of Possibility

The Realm of Possibility
written by David Levithan



I was really excited to read The Realm of Possibility.  I'm a fan of Levithan's many other works, and thought this would be on par with his other writing.  Character development is a personal favorite feature of novels, and with 20 different characters featured, I thought we'd get to see plenty of that.  Unfortunately, 20 characters ended up leading to 20 disjointed, messy, incoherent stories, to the point where I was confused about the very purpose of the book.  It read more like an outline for a book than a finished copy.  It was a good start, and could have been executed better, perhaps in using short stories rather than poems, but there wasn't much cohesion between the 20 stories being told.  The writing itself was classic Levithan, full of Big Life Truths, and it did not disappoint.  I can't say the same for the book as a unit, though.

I got this book from...:The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)