Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Glass House People

The Glass House People
written by Kathryn Reiss

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0152012931.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I don't know what it is about Reiss that I found so appealing when I was younger, but that appeal level has gone significantly down. I still do find some of her books to be positively fascinating, but really? She calls this a book? It begins slow and continues to be slow throughout the sequence of events. In comparison to Reiss's more supernatural books, this is a complete bore. It contains an obnoxiously simple and linear plot in which pretty much nothing happens. The entire book continues to basically be a broken record, with no real resolution, twists, anything much. It's unnecessarily melodramatic, and at multiple times I found myself uncontrollably laughing at the absurdity of it all, especially at what were supposed to be the more tense parts. The only well-developed truly round character in the story is Grandad, and he doesn't play much of a role at all until the unsatisfying end. This is not a book worth your time. I love her supernatural ones, but this really was nothing special.

Rating: 1.5/5

Also by Kathryn Reiss:
Time Windows
Pale Phoenix

I got this book from...:SwapTree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)