Monday, February 15, 2010

Ten Things I Hate About Me

Ten Things I Hate About Me
written by Randa Abdel-Fattah

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0545050553.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ten Things I Hate About Me has plenty of positive aspects which outweigh the few faults it does have. It's a little predictable with Timothy's subplot, as well as the overall big deal of Jamilah/Jamie's identity. It's a little preachy at times, but the moments of preachyness do fit in with the plot. The characters are pretty well-rounded, and I particularly enjoyed the characterization of Jamilah's father. It's conversational and relaxed storytelling, and while the writing's not the greatest, it's still a good book. I know it's one I and many other girls, Muslim and non, can relate to, maybe on different levels, but relate nonetheless. The environment Jamilah has been brought up in is captured really well and again, is something people can identify with. It is pretty unique to read a young adult book about Muslim cultural identity, and I applaud Abdel-Fattah for writing the way she does. I enjoyed this book, much more than Abdel-Fattah's other book, Does My Head Look Big in This? I thought this one was more down-to-earth and relatable.

Rating: 4/5

I got this book from...:Library book sale

1 comment:

  1. I just check this out after reading Does My Head Look Big in This? which I liked but wasn't super impressed by the writing. I thought this one might be better. I will definitely have to try it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)