Monday, October 12, 2009

Psych Major Syndrome

Psych Major Syndrome
written by Alicia Thompson

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1423114574.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Continuing a trend that seems to have been started by Megan McCafferty is another YA book set at college instead of the typical junior high/high school ones. This is really exciting for me as a new college student, watching my books grow up along side me and keeping the material relevant and interesting. It also really helped that the main character in the story goes to a tiny school that sounds very much like my own. Anyways, the plot was cute, if not annoyingly simple. Everything was pretty predictable, and it is no wonder that Meg Cabot blurbed it--it's such utterly Cabotian fluff, just as well-written in a casual conversational tone. I love it when authors do cute gimmicky things, so I was a fan of the little psych related definitions that came before chapters and symbolically related really nicely to whatever was happening. All these characters are really well developed, and you grow to love them as the book progresses. I was really satisfied with the way everything turned out at the end, after that emotional rollercoaster of suspense resolved itself. I was a little disappointed by the lack of very much to do with psychology, but it's still a cute book--just don't expect anything intellectual out of it.

Rating: 5/5

Also, cutest U2 references ever!

2 comments:

  1. I think I should read it since my B.S. is in Psychology. Maybe I can identify with Psych Major Syndrome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, like I said, there's not all that much psych to it. Each chapter opens with a definition, and it's nice to be able to say "hah, I knew what this was before reading it!", but it's really just fluff fiction. Which, hey, I'm all for it, I think it's really well-written fluff fiction, but yeah. Go into reading it aware of that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)