Saturday, August 22, 2009

The President's Daughter

The President's Daughter
written by Ellen Emerson White

http://pics.librarything.com/picsizes/0f/5b/0f5b893babd14395977784454414141414c3441.jpg

I was first alerted to this book's existence via Free Book Friday Teens, where it was given away at some point. I thought it sounded really great, a West Wing for teens, so I immediately requested that my library buy a copy. First things first, I love the cover. I looked at the covers of the older versions, and to put it bluntly, they were atrocious. This one is sophisticated and carries the same dignity the text does, it's no wonder they were reprinted. It was really interesting seeing the dynamics of the first family from a teenage girl's point of view--a teenage girl whose life is being drastically shifted as she and her now presidential family move into the White House. The title is a little irritating, since for the majority of the book, Meg is not exactly the president's daughter, but really more the candidate's daughter. That's a spoiler if I've ever seen one. I was surprised that Meg had a big family, I'm not sure why, but prior to reading the books, I had thought it was just Meg and her single mother, and I almost think the plot would have been stronger with just the two of them, Gilmore Girls meets West Wing, basically the most amazing thing possible. I was glad to see how the First Husband grew into his role, and definitely hope to see more of him in the rest of the series. I was also shocked that Meg's mother's party was revealed. I had definitely thought it would remain ambiguous, and the diehard Democrat in me was, obviously, pleased. I do wonder how Republicans perceive this book, just out of curiosity. Does the party revelation ruin something in it, or is it still a great read? Anyways, this is really a fantastically well-written, well-rounded, wonderful book, and I enjoyed it immensely!

Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

  1. That sounds very interesting and different from other "president's daughter" type things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are other ones? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking of all those movies that came out a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, okay, gotcha.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)