Sunday, April 12, 2009

Skinned

Skinned
written by Robin Wasserman

http://www.librarything.com/picsizes/83/99/b4b8e14de1a4f435fa1b5aaecff4f9ca.jpg

Okay, so I didn't really enjoy this book at all. I felt like many of the plot threads have been done to death and almost in an identical way (see Airhead, The Adoration of Jenna Fox, Remember Me?, etc.) Same death/near death, replanting the brain kind of story. Same reactions by the parents, friends, and peers. I have read this book before and while the first time it was pretty neat, after that, it got slightly boring. It picks up a little bit after Lia gets out of the hospital and gets to interact with the world again, but just as it begins getting good, it crashes down again. Auden was the only character I liked (and I have a very strong hatred of others, particularly JUDE), and his role progresses dismally. The ending was completely disappointing, and I really think it would have been much stronger if Lia had just chosen to die. What is written instead is cringe-worthy and kind of sickening. It just really seems like this is a patchwork quilt of all the sci-fi futuristic YA books that are currently out there, and I know Robin Wasserman is capable of better.

Rating: 1.5/5

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I really want to read this. I love the cover but I don't know if I will like the story. I'm glad to know what you really thought about it. Also, there is an award for you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)