Sunday, February 17, 2013

Among Others

Among Others
written by Jo Walton

I'm kind of torn because I really wanted to love this book, but in the end, it was just missing something.  The ending was one of the most rushed things I've ever read.  I love how books are romanticized, and anyone who is a book lover will identify with Mor's true love and connection (albeit somewhat snobby/limited to SciFi) of books.  I do love that in the end, this is a book about the magic of books.  But there was so much blank space in the middle where not much happened, and that's a shame.  There are also a lot of blanks, the situation with her aunts, what actually ended up happening with her mom, what the fairies were, and that's disheartening to walk away from.  I don't know what else to say.  I really wanted this to be the perfect book and I'm pretty sad that it wasn't coherent enough to be when it had all the right ingredients.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)