Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cryer's Cross

Cryer's Cross
Written by Lisa McMann

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

I went into reading this not having read a plot summary. Lisa McMann had mentioned the book in a Pittsburgh event she did, and I’ve had it on my to-read list since then. I read it in the middle of the night alone on a train, which, in retrospect, not the greatest setting to be reading a horror story. McMann is great at crafting straightforward, simplistic in a sense, plots. Her cards are laid on the table early on, and the reader knows what they’re getting into, for the most part. She does keep some secrets which make for great reveals later on in the story, but there’s no getting lost in too many plot threads or unnecessary verbage. It’s short, sweet, and to the point. I’m not sure what McMann’s plans are for this story, but I do hope it remains a standalone. It functions well as a one-read story, and was great for reading on the train.

Rating: 5/5

(Random note: Did any of you read that one Goosebumps book with the Haunted Schoolhouse? I was continually reminded of that while reading this story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)