Monday, June 8, 2009

Second Helpings

Second Helpings
written by Megan McCafferty

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0609807919.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Second Helpings, more than anything, helped me realize how much I really really cannot stand Jessica Darling. I mean, can this girl GET any more arrogant?! She takes her intelligence for granted, and more than that, complains about it, and I have to sit and suffer through it, because I think it's genuinely good writing, but dear God why does such a lousy, pathetic character have to be written so well? And give up on Marcus already! She talks about the guy as if he were a God, and it's severely disturbing. Jessica's personal life is much more interesting than her academic one, though, although both aspects just drive me slightly insane. She's just a mean person, and I'm going to keep reading the later books, as I've heard that they are better, but I'm seriously hoping she realizes that she's kind of a...mean girl. Anyways, the book itself is extremely predictable, and my favorite character is one that doesn't appear until the very end (but what an appearance!), Hope. As I said before, the writing is fantastic, but the characters, not so much. The girl is everything you hated about high school in one, the snobby, preppy honors student you just had to loathe, because she's got it all. The most "tragic" thing to happen in her life is her best friend moving away and a breakup. Someone is in desperate need of a reality check, fast.

Rating: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, but no, Jessica does not get better. I had to give up on the 4th and 5th book since I couldn't take her angst anymore and she is in her earlier to mid 20's in those books. But you might like them better them me. I could forgive her attitude in high school but not as an adult. She should have grown out of it by then.

    BTW, I have an award for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)