Thursday, September 3, 2009

Love Among the Walnuts

Love Among the Walnuts
written by Jean Ferris

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0141310995.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This was another one of my recent reads that had me underwhelmed. I wasn't a fan of the writing to begin with--I felt that it was trying much too hard to be whimsical and this was overly obvious. It gets better as the plot progresses, but the plot is pretty weak, predictable, and boring. I felt like it was in great need of plot twists and funny situations, instead of just ironically "funny" narration. Now, don't get me wrong, some of the whimsy was hilarious. The character's names were clever and really fun to track. I just don't know, though. If you're in the mood for whimsy, I would strongly recommend Ferris's other books, Once Upon A Marigold and Twice Upon a Marigold. This was more morbid, darker humor, reminding me a times of Pushing Daisies (but really not as funny). I just kept trying to look past the plot, theorizing that there'd be a twist in relation to the characters, the location, the mystery, whatever, and nothing really surfaced. I did enjoy watching the relationship between Sandy and Sunnie progress, but even that felt drastically drawn out (but maybe that's what made it so cute!). All in all, not the greatest book, but there are definitely worse.

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Sounds eh, I probably won't pick it up. Also I don't like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, me neither. It's...absolutely unremarkable.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? A comment, question, or even a lively debate is always welcome :)